Tuesday, January 4, 2011

ERG!!! Late trap madness...

So Sunday, was my son's birthday. We were getting ready to go have lunch with the inlaws, but also need to return my brother's drill I had borrowed to put on my Giant Hood.  So I brought the bird out a little early. I offered her meat and she took it. She ate nearly an ounce. I thought that all was well. I was able to weigh her because she bated on to my scales. And although it was not very graceful, I was able to get her back into the GH.
Later that night I brought her back out. She wouldn't take the meat I offered. Bated incessantly and was wanting to perch on our big screen tv. I kept her on the glove the best I could for about an hour, then put her back in the GH. I returned the hood I had borrowed from a friend, so this time it was trickier to get her in, but not too bad.
Then last night, I tried to get her out of the hood, and she would not come out. flared and glaring, she refused to come out. I spent a while trying to calm her and had her on my fist several times, but each time that I tried to pull her out she flared her wings, and made sure she couldn't get out.
I decided that she was too high. She had just eaten the day before, and evidently, it went to her head.  I think that there was probably a better way to deal with her, and get her out...but I didn't want to just yank her. I am trying hard not to make anything a bad experience for her, and avoid some of that resentment. But, at the same time, I have lost much progress, by not having manned her more last night.
It is frustrating and conflicting. I feel like I should be able to work with her better, and be less feeble about it all, yet, at the same time, she is a late trap and has that attitude issue, that I have never had to deal with.
I am going to go out this morning and try again. I will offer her food, and see if that changes her mind. I really need to get her weighed, so I will have some clue about where we are at. I am anxiously waiting for that hood to come in the mail...it just couldn't come sooner...
for now, I just have to work with what I have.  Get her out of the GH, onto the fist, and trying to eat again. It's everything I have to keep my cool and not wonder why it is so difficult. But I know that she is a little older bird, and that is why. If we could just get past these early hurdles it seems like she will be really great on game. But until then, She will just be taking out her frustrations on me. And all I really can do is keep trying, and not get too frustrated myself!
Wish me luck, I really need it!

No comments: