Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 2: New Year, New Bird

So day 2,

I decided that the leather anklets were just too flimsy, and needed changing. Also that her "emergency" jesses were just too darn thick and she needed something new, fast. (cursing that I didn't make more high quality good last season) I begin to read my posts about Kumihimo, and I google end knots. the sennett rose, the turks head, even the monkey fist. I can't make up my mind, and the anxiety of the situation in setting in. IF my bird isn't wearing the proper gear, she could injure herself, even if in GH, and I have to get it right. It's a holiday, and it's a weekend...it's doubtful of ordering anything, or even stores in town carrying what I might need.
Brainstorming ensued, and to top it off, I was expected at my in-laws for a New Year's "Linner"....I just didn't know what to do, so I tried to take it 1 thing at a time.
First, I want bigger, sturdier bracelets on this girl. she is very strong, and if she could tear out the slits on the jesses, then the anklets were an obvious weakest link. Furthermore, I felt that the fit was much too snug, and that I should make a pair a bit more comfortable.  I made up a few pairs of removable anklets, with grommets in place. I kept second guessing the sizing, I was sure one pair was suitable for an Eagle, another barely large enough for a Kestrel.  I made 2 that I thought would work, one larger than the other, just in case. With the removable ones, you have to be sure there is enough room to pass the grommet through without harm, yet not so loose, that the rear talon lodges itself into the grommet, or other fates.....
I used a metal punch to emboss my phone number on the anklets, in case something happens later in the season. (let's not assume it will....BUT...Murphy has laws).
I was somewhat satisfied with the results, and although I don't think they are much to look at, I think they will do the trick.
Upon returning home from the other side of town, I began to worry more....about jesses.
I had been reading about the braiding techniques and looking at pictures online of dacron jesses, bullet jesses, all the fancy new stuff that wasn't around at the beginning of "falconry time". All the stuff that "modern day" added to the sport...or borrowed from others...
I decided to order some things from Davidson's. I bought a set of bells and a hood that I really liked last year, so I emailed him, and he answered, repeatedly, actually...on a holiday...2 pairs of anklets, 2 pairs of jesses, one mews, one field...and a hood, size 13, for my 1613 birdie....and, to top it off, it was 38.25, combined with tax & shipping....dirt cheap dirt hawking is what he should have named it! He said he'd have it to me ASAP. And I really didn't expect any response on a holiday weekend, so that was great news after the rough last 24 hours!
BUT....being me...I had to fix the NOW, not the LATER. I was in dire straits to get my gear up to par. I felt foolish for not having known these things. But I know that most all falconers have a story like mine, and many more, and those that don't will!
But my brother always says, "perseverance will prevail"
Google....hmmmm...falconry forum? member's blogs?
Yep, both.
After spending and hour and a half, maybe more..and with my husbands help...a pile of filling on the floor, a pile of frazzled ends, electrical tape, shrink tubing, elbow grease, more perserverance, ("why won't this ding -dang thing feed through? it's snagging...it's ripping...start over) to do this job that should take 5 MIN of a normal person's time, it took us some serious frustration to get the job done...but I think this time, I got it right!
Now on to more projects.
I declare that this year is the real first year of my falconry experience. I will try all the things I wasn't going to try to do this time...I want to make some braided jesses, several pairs, and learn how to get the length and strength just right. get the end knots down. Go out and buy a bunch of paracord, and make up a ton of these, varying lengths, so I have those "emergency pairs".Learn to make them well enough to actually do it in 5 min. (ha)
 Get a few more hides...I have this incredibly thick stuff, and the rest is junk for anklets or jesses....My friend is coming down and letting me cut off some of her Roo hide...that's a huge favor...so hopefully I will learn to craft some stuff to repay it! :) and others, too, that are helping me along the way.

I would also like to try to get this bird "good to the hood" ...or let's rephrase.."I'd like to hood good"(hehehe)
That's not something everyone does with red tails but I want to learn it, so this is the year...(I am pretty sure I should ask around a bit about this since she has been trying to nip at it the last time I put it on her.)

If I get through the season or can even start a season with this bird, I will try to keep her through the moult. I would love to, being that she is crazy vicious and will be a killer! If we get along...she'd be a keeper.

If she's a keeper, we'll be building a mew.

So..on and on down the line. We shall see what the new year brings!

Good News is, that I got her suited up with her new gear and on the glove for a few hours of manning. Nevermind she shat on the floor, and I didn't lay plastic on the floor....will have to make note to self...old shower curtain or table cloth shat splat mat...hmmm   advertising opportunity?

She did OK, all things considered...I am a newbie, so she is having to put up with that. Last year manning was mono e mono, this time its a bit more in the face. I only man for a while at a time, she has a temper, but she seems to understand, or have a clue what might be going on. Or at least, I think she knows she is not dinner, but maybe a pet. I have to prove that she's not a pet, and I am not an owner...but a hunting buddy.
I have been offering a mouse cut in half. she nibbled a bit several times. But it was much too big to eat at once in front of me now. she would have to tear at it. I tried getting it to her feet and letting her have at it, or getting her to bite, but of course she would just hold on until something startled her and dropping it on the floor.
So progress in that respect? no, but it's day 2...gotta love my dumb luck of trying...but tomorrow it's red meat only. I threw the mouse away, and I would like her to get nibbling. so I will cut strips of rich red meat enough that she can have a torn piece, because I do believe that she will gobble that up, and come back for more, and we can get on with our business!
More soon

No comments: