Thursday, December 3, 2009

"CL" MPRTH Hops to the Fist! =)





This morning I tried the hop to the fist. we did the dance for at least 45 minutes. Eventually I gave up. He didn't bate as much in the "new to him" side of the weathering. But it was still hard to get him off the scales. It sure looks easy when you see someone do it, but new bird, new falconer= nothing's as easy as it looks! =) that was 9:15 this morning, he weighed between 28.5 and 29.0 OZ. (808-822 grams)
I decided to continue my routine and try around 1pm. I ended up a bit early at 12:30 or so and figured he could use some some manning, and it has been cold, so a little bating and sunshine to get the ol' juices flowing ought to warm him up after a cold morning.

And bate he did! If I lifted my arm to high, if he faced in the wind. If I walked and stopped to turn. If he looked left, if he looked right...he just wants to fly after all. I mean, he's a hawk. so after that tiresome affair of fifteen to twenty minutes of walking around listening to the neighbors dog bark, watching the tree line that I won't let him fly to, I figured that was enough over-stimulation for the time being, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I perched him fairly well, although I worry about bating in the weathering while tied to the fist, I haven't let him bonk himself yet and he decided it was futile once I closed the gate. So I stood in front of him and showed him the meat up close and lowered it to his footy level, but about 10 inches away from the A-frame (perch). He reached and reached and waved his wings in circles so as not to fall off and balance himself, and he managed to yoink the piece outta my hand! (geesh, which one of us is the bird brain here?). So he smacks his beak, that was tasty, thanks for the freebie.....So I try again....Mr.sneaky, no more freebies! I tease him with it, I put it where he thinks he can get it, and I pull it ever so slowly down and away, and he wiggles and wiggles and lunges one leg out, wings cocked out, he is about to crash and burn, with his beak and one foot on my glove, wings still close enough to hit the A frame....ugh. Second hop, I try to make further, but it is a repeat of the first. I whistle and perch him again. This time I am a good 18 inches at least. I say "come on" "good boy" and he's on it. Firm, steady, and feet nailing the glove and meat all at once....NOW THAT IS HOW IT IS DONE!! (don't worry I won't tell everyone you looked like a pansy the first time...tee hee)...You did it!
Hop, Hop, Hop.....he did great! He jumped as far as I could reach out in the weathering, about 3 ft or more...I was too excited that he was paying attention to our new game to keep very good track. I hope he is this responsive tomorrow, the weather is about the same, but the wind has calmed down and there is sun.....this was a great day!

No comments: